May 9, 2016
available on Google Play Music
Becky and Diana discuss the correct way to
praise someone if you want to see results.
- There is a correct way to praise
and an incorrect way to praise. Each will give you very different
- Two types of praise
- Praising for Ability
- Praising for Effort
- Praising for ability results in
people becoming stuck, discouraged, and seeing themselves as
failures when they meet a challenge they have to struggle
- Praising for effort empowers
people to keep trying when challenged and results in a growth
mindset and improves confidence.
- Ability is defined as things
that come easy to a person such as appearance, natural strengths,
- Effort = reward for failure =
learning = failing forward = resilience = confidence.
- Praising for ability implies
- Parents, teachers, coaches,
& bosses real job is to move people forward, which takes effort
on the part of the people moving!
- Even baby steps are effort and
should be praised.
- When you are too focused on the
end result, you miss the effort of the journey and the opportunity
Stamp Of Brilliance
you praise for effort, you get effort in return.
***Many of the thoughts and
quotes for this episode were inspired by or read directly from
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol