Mar 27, 2017
Becky and Diana talk about the
difficulties that ensue when we take critiques and mistakes
- When someone criticizes your
work, do you feel like they’re criticizing you?
- It can be hard to separate
ourselves from our work, but we must.
- We need to maintain space
between who we are and the work do so we can maintain our
- We are not the products/ work we
- Taking things personally is like
donning one heavy coat for every critical comment and carrying them
around with us!
- One of the most effective skills
to develop for handling critiques and mistakes is to have a short
memory. Quarterbacks do not stomp out of the stadium after a bad
- We don’t need to poll others for
- Being professional means
accomplishing the role we’ve accepted in our jobs along with their
standards and then performing to those standards. We are not the
- When we take everything
personally, we stop taking risks and stop growing.
- The Learning Zone – where we
grow by making mistakes, listening to critiques, and develop the
understanding that we’re not failures.